Our kids are growing up real fast. We know what to do to help them grow physically, to build their bodies. What about building the person, our child can be? A child who would not only grow to be a great daughter or son but also a good citizen of the world and valuable member of the society.
To grow that in them is perhaps our biggest responsibility. And to have done it well is the most fulfilling reward we could seek as parents.
“Building a beautiful inside” is an everyday job of a parent. A job that is best done with the power of stories and storytelling because nothing sticks to kids better than stories. Nothing moves them more and nothing shapes them better.
Opportunities present themselves every day to remind us of this job.
- When a child feels lost and neglected, it is an opportunity to build values that build relationships.
- When a child falters with habits, it is an opportunity to build values that build character.
- When a child falls behind socially, it is an opportunity to build values that build personality.
- When a child fumbles with doubts, it is an opportunity to build values that build attitude.
- When a child is ready to run, it is an opportunity to give her wings
- When a child is doing good, it is an opportunity to show her greatness.
- Whenever a story is told, its an opportunity to build beautiful inside.
As a parent, we get these opportunities every day, but they don’t always ring the doorbell to announce themselves or they are not momentous occasions accompanied by drum rolls!
Powerful opportunities to ‘build beautiful inside’ present themselves every day and we as parents are called to take and make the most of such opportunities every day.